4.07.2012


All images from Pinterest

It was nice enough today to get my bike out and go for a ride!!! Which got me to thinking about my life with bicycles. Each summer, way back when I was young, my bike and I were inseparable.  It was a true love affair.  The sound of the wheels on the gravel, the clicking of the gear chain, the squeak of the brakes all added to the spirit of adventure that I used to feel every time I rode.

Nothing could possibly beat the wind in my hair and the sun on my face as I covered ground, both familiar and new places I had never been before. As childhood gave way to adulthood and summer holidays gave way to motherhood, that sense of spirit and adventure seemed to slip away.  I rode less and my bike began it's gradual retreat into the dark recesses of the garage. . . forgotten, gathering dust. I think one of my nieces may have finally taken it.

After years of not riding, I felt myself longing for that feeling, the one that only a bike can give you. So, I a few years back, I bought myself a beautiful bike and hit the paths near my home. Memories came flooding back as I once again experienced the freedom that riding gives you and was left wondering why I hadn't done it sooner. The plus: it provides such wonderful exercise. But, even that cannot begin to compare to the feelings that wash over you as your riding along and the happy memories return.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog