10.19.2014

:: Comfort food at it's finest ::




We are part of a local CSA.  This is our 8th year in the same one so, I've come to know exactly what I'm going to get and when. There is still so much bounty available, I'm almost not prepared for how much is coming in. I'm cooking as fast as I can, and canning and so forth... but there are only so many hours in a day folks. This week we got so much we weren't sure what to do with it all. It's so beautiful though. All those brilliant veggies. I simply love them. All of them. And I find it slightly romantic as well, don't you?




It's all so fresh, everything is so fresh, and natural, slightly dirty and dewy. Straight from a farm here in the Midwest. Really, who could not be charmed by these beautiful, colorful vegetables? I do not grow these veggies in my garden, they take up way to much room. I stick to the tomatoes, green beans, jalapenos, etc; but these things folks, are the real Mc Coy. And, it just doesn't get any better than this. At least until I add the steaks hot off the grill... then throw in my homemade bread and a small side salad and some delicious wine and let me assure you that, every one was very happy with this Sundays dinner. Dessert? Glad you asked... A hot apple crisp with the apples I had just picked, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It was truly heavenly. Really. 



For those of you who may not know, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  It's a lovely way to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer.  Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables and/or fruit.  Interested households purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce weekly or semi-weekly throughout the farming season.  And it is wonderful! Here, our farmer also has a green house which extends our season a great deal! If you get a chance to participate in one- I would totally recommend it!






No comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog