10.20.2014

:: It's smelling like Autumn around here ::





Hot mulled cider and a warm dog on the couch at the end of the day. 
Dreaming about morning and wishing for sunshine. 
Reading chewy books slowly.

Isn't that what fall is all about? The coziness of it all. It’s about bundling up in warm scarves and lacing up your favorite boots. It’s the warmth of natural wood and burnt orange hues. It’s the tastes and scents of pumpkin, apple, cinnamon, and all the spices that go along with them. Scent plays a huge role in giving your home that cozy factor too , and fall scents are some of the coziest ones out there.  There are a lot of ways to get your home to smell like fall. You can burn pumpkin-scented candles… you can bake fresh apple pies… you can even make simmering stove top potpourri. Or, you could be like me and do ALL of the above!


But, really, when the weather cools down, I become smitten with simmering stove top potpourri. There are so many different combinations and it’s so fun to play around with your favorite ingredients until you reach that perfect scent. All you have to do is fill a saucepan with water (or in this case, cider), add your favorite spices, bring to a boil, and then let simmer as scents of apple, cinnamon, and pumpkin swirl through your home, filling up every room. The recipe above is how I make my absolute favorite fall simmering stove top potpourri. Bursting with the sweet and spicy scents of fall fall, this recipe will make your home feel like fall in an instant… the mixture is even full of fall colors!

I copy out mountains, rivers, clouds.
I take my pen from my pocket.
I note down a bird in its rising...
or a spider in its little silk works.
Nothing else crosses my mind.

~ Pablo Neruda ~


I believe I shall take my book to bed. How long will that last ?{smile} Zzzzz...





No comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog