1.14.2015

:: Time to look around ::




I was just sitting here wondering when the last time it was that I phoned a friend just to ask them about them.
What they are doing, how things really are, perhaps needing to talk about a problem. Or, the last time that I
surprised someone with a homemade meal because they are sick, or sent a goodie package to the kids, or
baked up some cookies for a neighbor? And, when was the last time I really listened to my children or my
spouse without criticism or judgement or an agenda of my own? What brought this to mind? During my most
recent illness {last December} I was in terrible shape. Really bad. And my friend texted me and said to look
on my porch. She had brought me a goodie box to help me through my illness. I almost cried. Ok, I did cry.
She is the sweetest, bestest, friend EVER! And I'm lucky to have her in my life.

I think we are all a little bit self-consumed, it's hard not to be. It often takes a real concerted effort to step outside of our own needs, preferences and desires to consider those of other people. It might even seem a little painful, at first. But here's a little something I've learned from doing it. The more you give, the much more you get. The more you take, the less you get. Lesson learned. Just wait until that girl comes down with something. I'm already planning...






No comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog