Pages

9.15.2015

:: Holding on and letting go ::




“People hold on to their clutter because they are afraid to let it go ~~ afraid of the emotions they may experience in the process of sorting thorough the stuff, afraid they will make a mistake and later regret getting rid of something, afraid they will leave themselves vulnerable, exposed or at risk in some way.  Clutter clearing can bring up a lot of “stuff” to be faced and dealt with, and intuitively everybody knows it.

The process of clearing clutter is all about letting go.  Not just letting go of your belongings ~~ that is only the end result.  The most important thing is learning to let go of the fear that keeps you holding on to them after it is time to move them on their way.”  

CLEAR YOUR CLUTTER WITH FENG SHUI,  By  Karen Kinston ~


I have a huge secret to share with you. I’ve keep it secret for years. Those who have been in my home would never know that it had ever existed, but at one time it did. I don’t talk about it now because it doesn't exist anymore. It's a secret that now lies behind an imaginary closed door.  

Some of you may have a drawer, a shelf, or a closet that has been collecting clutter. Most people do. As for myself, at one time, I had a whole room. Yes. A whole room-with a closet!  That room held a lot of things for me. Memories, history, shame, creativity, it became a box that held all the things that did not have an assigned place in my home. Things that got in the way, things I simply did not know what to do with. Tons of family photos and slides, handwritten notes and yearbooks belonging to not only myself but my parents as well, gift that were bought, but never sent, and cards, lots of cards that I received over the years, and even cards written by me, but never sent. And clothes. Lots of clothes. Some worn some not. So, it became a room everyone avoided like the plague.

Until about five years ago when I began to navigate through the layers and the years and I dusted off the projects that will never be completed, and really looked at the gifts I had received that never sang to my heart, and at all the things that I had bought because they were a great bargain. I am thrilled to report that all of that "stuff" was donated, recycled or tossed to the curb. But, it was not an easy process. There are some things too heavy and heartfelt for us to let go of, like my dads suit coat that hung in the closet filling it with the subtle, yet so familiar cologne that he always wore, along with the stale packet of gum and a few peppermints that he kept in his pocket to give to all of us at church every Sunday. It still hangs there. It is still needed. Much needed. But much is gone. The clutter. It is gone.

It was a huge process, going through the layers and unraveling the wounds from the past as well as dusting off treasures for the future. I found tons of things that I had forgotten all about. I continue to purge almost weekly. I have found it to be a necessary thing for me to do because it keeps me from dragging new stuff home. Now I can now see what I do have. And what I do have is both what I want, and what I need. And, I have discovered, I do not need a lot. 

Clutter holds a negative energetic pull that keeps us stuck.  It is so obvious to me that when my home is cluttered and untidy, so is my mind.  This is when the creative blocks surface, making me feel stuck and blocked. Things that we hold on to for no reason truly block us from having more. More love, more creativity, more space in our life. It stops us from being who we truly are, and from doing what we are meant to do.

When we are able to resolve our clutter issues, we are able to discover parts of our self that got buried underneath it all. The rewards for clearing the clutter are abundant. By clearing my clutter, it has allowed me to see my true self, plus, I now have a whole room I use just for crafting. Does a reward get any better than that? I think not.

So, my friend, I am inviting you to let go of the clutter you have been holding onto.  
Trust me, it is the greatest gift you can give yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment