Pages

9.06.2015

:: Surprise ::



I am not comfortable with disorder, {does that surprise you?) I don't like the feeling I get when my entire peripheral vision is filled with things, with objects.  I have often heard through the grapevine that I am well known for keeping a very tidy house and it's true.  I laughed out loud when this was shared with me, laughed that it even merited someone's attention enough to pass that little detail of my life around. But, recently I was presented with a problem of sorts that I wasn't quite sure how to handle. My good friend was in over her head. Too much responsibility, she was hardly ever home. Ever. But, she was allowing some family to live with her who needed her help for a while. Now mind you, she's as sweet as they come, which is probably why I was so upset when I popped in to say "hi" real quick.  I was flabbergasted by what I saw. Her home was a complete and utter disaster area. And folks, I don't say that lightly, I mean it. The family staying with her were not picking up after themselves or helping to clean at all. There were dishes everywhere, and piles of hair on the floor from 2 dogs, dust everywhere, and she looked at me with utter defeat in her eyes. I told her there was no need to apologize to me, I am her friend. But, I did ask her why she did not call me for help, when clearly she needed it. She did not want to ask. She was embarrassed. So, I said I understood that, but for now, I was going to give her her birthday present early... a clean  house. For real. She went to work, and I started in. I also got a couple of the family members to help me (a very little bit). I swept, and then I vacuumed, I mopped, and then I scrubbed, I washed dishes (for over an hour) and put them away. I dusted and then I polished. I re-arranged her living room better, I washed the windows... and when I was done 9 hours later, I felt good. The next morning she called me crying. She was so happy.  Best birthday present I ever gave. Ever. Little things mean a lot. What can you do for a friend today that would make all the difference in the world?



0 comments:

Post a Comment