This delicious soup has it all... and best of all...it's topped off with
some cheesy goodness that is sure to warm your heart on a cold winters day.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound pasta
- 4 ounces ricotta
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat add the sausage and cook until browned, about 10 minutes, breaking it apart as you go and set aside reserving the remaining oil and grease.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, sausage, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes. (The longer the better.)
- Add the pasta and cook until al-dente, about 7 minutes and remove from heat.
- Mix the ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella and serve the soup garnished with a tablespoon of the mixture along with the basil.
Not much in the way of time? Here's the slow cooker method!
Slow Cooker: Implement step 1, optionally implement steps 2 & 3, place everything except the pasta, the cheeses and basil in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the pasta and cooking on high until the pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes.