Pages

1.04.2016

:: It's all about the smell ::




A book I've been reading has got me a little curious about smells. How we associate things by smell actually. Oh! the wonderful and glorious sense of smell, this conjurer of vivid memories, the only sense that brings you so close to a place that for a fleeting moment, you actually feel as though you traveled back in time.  The smell leaps to greet you then it  lingers like a ghost, for hours and forever… stored somewhere in your mind or in your heart until once again it is triggered, like a trip wire, sending back a flood of memories as fresh as the day they were created.  That’s what I find fascinating about the whole smell thing. I know it has a name. I just don't know what it is, or even care enough to look it up. It is what it is. You know some aromas really appeal to people, while others? Well, not so good. It makes me wonder, does it perhaps has something to do with the memories associated with them?  For instance, I can’t stand the smell of carnations because they remind me of funeral homes but I oddly rather enjoy the smell of gasoline, because it brings me back to my days of sitting in the convertible and leaning over to help my dad put in the gas. {I didn't have to help, it was full service back then, even he didn't pump his own gas, remember those days}? And so, without further ado, here's my list of scents and their associated memories.
  1. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and oranges: Remind me of the smells of Christmas.
  2. Fish and chips: Reminds me of my visit to the coast.
  3. BBQ Sandwiches: Reminds me of the deep south, Alabama, Louisiana delicious BBQ sauces. 
  4. Sauteed garlic and onions: reminds me of my house!
  5. Cocoa Butter: Reminds me of sun tanning as a youth.
  6. Clean sheets: Reminds me of fresh spring air.
  7. Popcorn: Will forever remind me of my best friend.
  8. Old books: will forever remind me of my grandparents home. They had quite the Library.
  9. Cilantro: Sorry folks, this smell actually evokes my gag instinct. I avoid this herb like the plague.
  10. Apples: Will forever remind me of picking apples and the delicious baking of them that followed.
  11. Rain: yes, it has a smell. Especially on hot pavement: childhood memories playing outside.
  12. Freshly brewing coffee: it is the comforting scent that has been greeting me each morning for all my life.
  13. Chlorine: of course reminds me of the old Moline pool where I learned to swim.
  14. Bonfires: Remind me of summer camp. And smores.
  15. Autumn: Wood smoke,  dampness, decaying leaves: Reminds me of hiking.
  16. Roses: I avoid these because they remind me of my father. He loved roses. It was his hobby so to speak, he had over 300 rose bushes growing in our yard at the height of his hobby. I miss him. And it only serves to take me back to the days of helping him prune, or taking some to my teachers to win them over!
  17. Bacon: Reminds me of the big breakfasts I always made on Sundays for my family.
  18. Rain, while it is falling: Reminds me of rainstorms I would listen to as a child.
  19. Freshly mowed grass: Reminds me of summer as a kid.
  20. Roast Beef: Reminds me of Sunday dinners with my grandparents
  21. Cucumber and onions: Always remind me of my Godmother. She made them often.
  22. Corn dogs: Remind me of going to the State Fair.

I'm sure there are others too that I'm just not remembering, but these are off the top of my head - I know these. Isn't it quite interesting though? What are some of your favorite smells?



0 comments:

Post a Comment