Pages

1.03.2016

:: Pacing myself ::



So, today, I drug myself out of bed at 8:00 a.m., quite late for me. I can't believe both the dog and the cat actually allowed me to sleep in. I guess we're all feeling tired lately. And unable to really focus as well. What the heck is wrong with us? I look at my to do list. My long to do list. No wonder I can't focus well, I have too many things weighing down on me. Things that I felt I should be doing, but just hadn't gotten around to yet. I guess because lately, all I really want to do is make a cup of tea and hold it in my cold hands, and curl up with a good book. Where has my motivation gone to? Why does it seem to be so hard to get things done lately? I began to feel quite unproductive indeed. Then, I glanced at one of the books on my table I wanted to read called The Emotional Calendar, thumbing through it, I read some things about SAD {Seasonal Affective Disorder}, but the book points out that most people do not have SAD at all, and that winter itself is simply intended as a time of rest. Expecting yourself to be as productive in the winter is setting yourself up for complete failure. It goes on to say that our bodies have a physical response to the amount of light and angles of the  light and the howling cold winter winds... even the sight of the snow coming down make our breathing and brain activity slow down. But in this world of cell phone apps, and infinite multi-tasking, armed with time saving tools, phones, timers and alarms, and just look at the covers of the January magazines as they demonstrate how to find ways to do more within a 24-hour period. But, try as we might, we never seem to fit it all in. At lease, in the winter. Because really, we're not supposed to. Winter was never meant to be a productive time of year. The roads are an icy mess, and we wear so many clothes that it's hard to even move but it's more than that. Winter is a time of rest. A time to hibernate. This is when even the earth rests. And it is time for us to rest. Honor this rest time. And tell me this; when it comes to hibernating, what do you need? These are the things I am choosing.


  • Homemade soups and stews. More comfort foods 
  • I intend to bake much more as well
  • Clementines. Those little lovelies get me through the day!
  • Dress in warm layers, with something on the feet!
  • Exercise. Go for a 20 minute walk outside.
  • Then exercise for 30 minutes inside. Zumba, Pilates, yoga.
  • Remember to take good vitamins and supplements
  • Delicious, good lotions and lip balms - a must!
  • Smelly candles to transform you in mere minutes
  • Soft, flannel sheets and a heavy down comforter. 
  • Lots of big, fluffy, soft feather pillows
  • A big soft blanket throw for reading or watching tv.
  • Lots of good books!
  • Lots of supplies for crafting and journaling
  • Several Varieties of Teas and coffees to enjoy all winter long.
  • Naps. Lots of restorative naps!








0 comments:

Post a Comment